Tuesday, May 31, 2011

You Scream, I scream , We all Scream..

When it's over 100 degrees outside and humid as it is today, we all scream:

"OMG it is sooo HOT!


Richmond, VA in the summertime can feel like a day spent locked in a car, parked in the sun with all the windows shut. Only it is waay more humid.

On hot days like this I tend to think more about making cool things than cooking. That does not mean I stop thinking about food though. I just turn my thoughts to cool treats. For my money, nothing cools like a nice cold slice of watermelon.

Natures gift on a hot day

This blog is dedicated to my dad's father John Fechino or Fecchino as it is sometimes spelled (hence the name 1 C or 2?). While my grandfather did many things in his life, he is best known as an ice cream maker. His business was located in New Jersey and was called Creamo Ice Cream.

My grandfather, John Fechino, in front of his store 1930s

My grandfather supplied the finest ice cream to area restaurants and hotels. He would also sell Popsicles and soft drinks and ice, but it is his ice cream that was really his specialty.

My aunt, Loretta Fechino enjoys a cone while her brother Val looks on.

When my dad and his sister Phyllis were together last month, I asked what they recalled my grandfather making. Dad liked his orange pineapple ice cream but both he and Phyllis remarked about his peach ice cream.

I don't have any ice cream recipes to share today, but I do have an Italian Ice recipe (called a Granita) that I hope you will enjoy.

My brother Steve, his wife Cathy and their kids live too far way in Tennessee for my liking. We see them too infrequently, so when they are able to come for a visit, there is always a family gathering. Steve is all grown up now and looks like this to everyone but me.

My brother Steve, how he looks now, is on the left in the white (starched) shirt

But to me, my brother Steve, (I call him Steverino),will always look like this in my mind.

So where is this cart going you might be wondering by now?

I will tell you , but you need to read the next line in a Gomer Pyle accent to get the right affect.

Fans of Gomer Pyle will remember he was a great cook.

Well, Steve and his family, came all the way from Tennessee, for a visit, and well, wouldn't ya just know, it we was smack dab in the middle of the gash-darnedest heat wave we ever did have, so of course I just knew, deep down in my little ol' heart of mine, that I just had to make something cool and refreshing to bring to the family gathering.

Whooo weee. Okay, you can breathe now.

So I got to thinking, hot-= watermelon.


Fechino = ice cream.

So how do I reconcile the two? I didn't want to go through the effort (okay, I'll admit it, or pay the expense) to make enough ice cream to feed everyone at the gathering.

Then the answer came to me! I could make Watermelon Italian Ice (or Granita).

Granita is really, really simple and inexpensive to make for a large crowd and while not ice cream, it does give a nod to our Fechino family's "frozen treat " heritage. (Gee. That was almost a tongue twister!)

Now here's a Fecchino cone that could serve a big crowd


Watermelon Granita ( also known as Italian Ice)

Ingredients:

4 Cups of Ripe Watermelon, cut into cubes with the seeds removed.

Normally a 4 lb watermelon will yeild enough fruit.

1/2 Cup of Sugar

1 or more Tablespoons of Lime Juice. Additional Lime Juice will increase the tang of your Granita.

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. If using a blender you may need to process this in batches.

Pour the puree into a 9 x 9 metal pan, cover with plastic wrap. Set a timer for 60 minutes to remind yourself to check it and then place it in the freezer for 60 minutes.

After 60 minutes, remove the Granita from the freezer. Break up any frozen parts and then stir up any frozen chunks with a strong fork. Cover the Granita again and then return it to the freezer for 2 more hours.

After 2 hours, you will be able to scrape the Granita into flakes using a strong fork. Once the Granita has been flaked, return it to the freezer or serve.

If you prefer a slushier treat, break the frozen chunks into pieces and puree in the blender. Add a banana and you have a great, low fat smoothie.

This recipe can be easily modified. I have even used frozen limeade concentrate or strawberry lemonade concentrate mixed with fresh blueberries for another twist. But be warned: the higher the proportion of sugar (or corn syrup) in the mixture, the more difficult it will be to freeze your Granita. Always give it a taste before you freeze it and modify as needed.

Everyone really seemed to enjoy the Granita that day , which of course pleased me.

My nephew Nick and niece Rebecca Fechino

I don't get to see Steve, Cathy, my niece Rebecca or my nephew Nick as often as I would like, but when we do get together, regardless of how hot it is outside, I still want them to think of me as their "Cool Uncle".

Maybe, just maybe, when I served the Granita on the hot summer day a few years ago, I earned that moniker. Here's hoping anyway.

If you are feeling hot and want a cool treat, consider giving a Granita a try.

Until next time, be cool!








No comments:

Post a Comment