Sunday, May 29, 2011

Food for thought...

The Secretary of War Desires Me to Express His Deep Regret...

John Augustus Fernandes 1943

THE SECRETARY OF WAR DESIRES ME TO EXPRESS HIS DEEP REGRET THAT YOUR SON PRIVATE JOHN A FERNANDES WAS KILLED IN ACTION ON TWENTY JUNE IN FRANCE. LETTER FOLLOWS=

These are the words every parent of a soldier fears the most. On August 6, 1944, my great grandmother, Mrs. Marie Fernandes received a telegram that her son had been killed in action.

A copy of the telegram


Julio and Marie Fernandes 1943

No matter what age your son goes off to serve, he is always your boy.

John Fernandes early 1930's

I cannot image the pain and horror that my great grandmother and my great grandfather had to suffer upon learning the news that their only son had fallen in France and would never return. My great uncle sacrificed his life, while those close to him were left behind to suffer the loss.

I never served a day in the military. The closest I ever got to service was playing with my GI Joe or running around in my plastic army helmet as a kid.

My only military experience

Fun times aside, this Memorial Day let us choose to remember all those who really did put their lives on the line for us. My mother's Uncle, John Fernandes, paid the ultimate price of freedom on our behalf, but we also owe a debt to all those unknown soldiers who died for us.

To all who have served in our armed forces or who are serving now, I thank you.

This is a listing of just a few of the brave men who enlisted in the service so that we could live in freedom.

World War I era
Great aunt Alice; great uncle, Fred; great uncle, George; my grandfather, Robert;
great grandfather, John and great grandmother, Margaret Gregson


Served WWI, great cousin, Arthur "Artie" Esposito 1919


Served in WWI
My grandfather, John Fechino


Served WWII
My grandfather, Robert Gregson


Served WWII
Jim's grandfather, Charles Otey

Served WWII
My uncle, Anthony "Tony" Martone


Served WWII
My great uncle, Mario Bernarducci (in glasses cutting hair)

Served WWII
My uncle, Val Fecchino (shown with his wife Nancy)

Served WWII
My uncle, Albert Stark (shown with his wife, my aunt, Franny Fecchino)


Served WWII
Far left, my great uncle, Eddie O' Brien, to the far right my great uncle, Lou Schneidar

And more recently:

Army, Jim's cousin Gregg Wright

My nephews Alex ( Army) and Erik Czajkowski (Marines)

I thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment