Thursday, May 26, 2011

In-Laws and OutLaws



There is an old joke that goes:

Question: What is the difference between an In-Law and an Outlaw?

Answer: Outlaws are wanted.

I have told that joke for years, but have to admit, I have the best in-laws I could ever hope for.

I am also lucky that my son, Jack, inspired by the shows he now watches, has of late, taken to seeing that fighting crime has it's merits.

Depending on the day, Jack might be found to be working the international crime scene as either James Bond...

James "Jack" and Mini-Me Bond

Or he might be racing through time and the galaxy as time lord Dr. Who traveling as he does with this sexy cohort Donna Noble.

Dr Who and Donna Noble

There was a time, years ago that Jack followed another superhero. You may have heard of him.

His name is SpongeBob Squarepants. It is from the kitchen of SpongeBob that Jack found one of today's two recipes.

The Krusty Krab's Top Chef, SpongeBob Squarepants

For your enjoyment, I present Jack's hand written recipe for the Krabby Patti Combination.

So? Does Jack's recipe leave you wanting?? Yeah me too. The drawing and the handwriting are cute, but the recipe could use some work. Sorry SpongeBob. Whaaaaaah!!!

But don't fear, I am calling my grandmother in-Law to come to the rescue. My partner Jim's grandmother, Frances Otey is the best cook I know. She is not only movie-star beautiful, she is the ultimate hostess.

Frances Shoosmith Otey 1940s

No meal at her home ever disappoints, though it seems as if every meal is prefaced with the disclaimer, " I don't guarantee a thing!!"

Frances Otey and great granddaughters Isabella and Emma Journigan


Jim and I love crab cakes. If we see them offered at a fine restaurant, it is likely Jim will order them. And it is just as likely when I ask him how they were, he will remark, "Well, they were good, but not as good as my grandmother's."

Frances, or "Rangie" as we all call her, years ago collected her best and favorite recipes and gave copies printed on index cards to each of her grandchildren. It is the first place I look for a recipe. Each one is a proven winner.

So, to redeem this post, I offer you:

Frances Otey's Crab Cake Recipe.

Ingredients:

1 pound of crab meat
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 crushed crackers ( such as saltines)
dash of hot sauce
1 tablespoon sweet pepper(red or green) chopped fine

Directions:

Pick over crab to remove any shells. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and then toss together with your hands. Shape into cakes and roll each in cracker crumbs. Fry in melted butter until golden brown. This recipe makes 6 to 8 cakes.

As an option you can also broil these, but I find that frying is best.

Sure, the joke about In-laws and Outlaws may be humorous. And yes, fighting outlaws may be exciting.

But, for the record, it is my grandmother-in-law Frances Otey who makes the crab cakes that are really worth fighting for. And now, thanks to her recipe, you can make them too.

Tune in tomorrow. It is time for you to "Meat my Grandfather the Butcher".











No comments:

Post a Comment