Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Well Bread Neighbors

While walking around Yosemite National Park, I noticed that many of the people there shared the same body type.

Random photo of a Yosemite Hiker

It seemed as if most of the hikers were lean and tall just like my son Jack. If I were to write a story about Jack, I plan to call it “Jack, the Bean Stalk”.

My son Jack

That kid is so lean and tall. I am tall too, I just seem to have gravitated away from the lean part.

I guess the fact that the other visitors were, for the most part, also physically fit should not have surprised me. After all, most of the them were hikers and outdoor lovers who came there to hike and walk the grounds.

This observation of body types got me thinking about the different body types I learned about in biology class. As I recall, there are three basic types of builds: ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph.

Jack is definitely an Ectomorph. Jim is a Mesomorph. Those guys don’t even need to hold in their tummys when someone is taking their photo. How freakish is that, huh? Jack and Jim are both lean and do well walking and hiking.

While quite active, this guy oddly enough does not have the normal "Hiker Build"

As for me, I would have to say I really don't see myself fitting into any of the three earlier described types. I of course hope one day to once again claim Mesomorph status (but that would take excessive exercise for me at this point and I just don’t know if I want it that badly). What I am certain of is that, denial or not, I am certainly not willing to accept Endomorph status at this point.

What I will concede to is that I am in a category of body type that everyone knows and yet are still, for some reason, reluctant to talk about. But I am going to say it. Ready? I am...I can do this... a Carbo-morph. While the Carbo-morphs might not be found in most biology books, you will find us lined up at the bakery or bread aisle of the grocery store. Think Pillsbury Doughboy, but wearing clothes.

An example of the little understood Carbo-morph

Most likely you are familiar with the old phrase " Man cannot live on bread alone." That might be true, but if you throw in a couple of pads of sweet creamery unsalted butter and a drink, I personally would be willing to try to give that myth a run for it's money.

While visiting Yosemite, the views were nothing short of stunning, the cool , crisp air was invigorating, and the walks were inspiring. But it was at dinner that I was really bowled over. You see, each time we sat down for our evening meal at the Wawona, the historic hotel where we were staying, we were presented with a loaf of warm, frangrant, fresh from the oven sourdough bread. My mouth waters as I type this, but fear not, I can type on despite the drool.

Sourdough loaves

photo courtesy of pinchmysalt.com

Like most people, I've heard about San Francisco's sourdough bread. It seems every fast food restaurant has a burger or something served on San Francisco sourdough rolls. Let me tell you, they lie. It is not real sourdough. Now that I have tasted sourdough, I know.

Before I tasted the real thing I thought, "Oh, really? What’s the big deal about sourdough anyway? How good can it be?"

I have been saved from my ignorance by the sourdough bread that they served at the Wawona Hotel in Yosemite.

Yosemite National Park, Wawona Hotel

The Historic Wawona Hotel in Yosemite

If their bread does not make a believer of you that sourdough bread is the bomb, nothing will. If I had not known better I would have sworn that the bread was laced with drugs because I was addicted to it's tangy flavor from the very first bite. “My God! The waterfalls this year really are spectacular!" I would say with my outside voice. But my inside voice as really saying," how many more hours until we get to eat dinner again?”

Dining at the Wawona.

In addition to noticing how lean and fit everyone was while we visited the park, we could not help but notice how friendly and neighborly everyone was. I guess it was a “bird of the same feather” type of thing that made even strangers seem like lifelong friends. There really was a sense that everyone there was looking out for everyone else. I loved the sense of community.

It reminded me of my days as a young boy living in Rotterdam New York. Rotterdam is a small town just outside the Schenectady city limits.

This was our home in Rotterdam NY. My bedroom was above the garage.

We lived on Newell Road which was a dead end street populated by some of the best neighbors anyone could hope for. We were a group of families that really looked out for each other. It was while living on Newell Road that I learned what it meant to be a good neighbor.

The kids on the street all played with each other. At lunchtime, the Moms fed the kids who were playing in their yard, regardless of whose kids they were. If the kids in the yard were making too much noise or getting out of line, they also had no problem reprimanding them. What’s more, the kids minded what we were told because if we didn’t our parents would hear about it.

A party with the neighbor kids.

I am the boy in the photo above who is facing the camera but not wearing the hat. I can't remember what is going through my mind at the time. Perhaps I am wishing that some day I will learn how to make real sourdough bread like they do at the Wawona. Hey, you never know, right??

Because as kids we were always in and out of our friends’ homes, it was while living on Newell Road that I was introduced to some of my favorite foods. I remember Mrs. Middleton making hotdogs with sauerkraut. I loved it so much that whenever she made it, she would call me over to have some. It didn't even matter if I had already eaten dinner at home.

Mrs. Jo Middleton as she looks today.

One day, after my sister Alice, our friend Margaret Blohm and I filled Mrs. Blohm’s refridgerator with our jars of earthworms that we had collected to sell, Mrs. Blohm introduced us to fried Chicken Livers and Fried Chicken hearts. I loved them. My sister Alice was less than thrilled. It seemed to me that Mrs. Blohm was always cooking something.

Mrs. Blohm in 2010

I can’t remember who it was, but one of our neighbors gave my mom some sourdough starter years ago while we were living in Rotterdam. I have a feeling it was Mrs. Blohm, but it could have just as easily been Mrs. LeGere, Mrs. Guyette, Mrs. Vincetore or Mrs. Middleton or any one of the neighbors.

Mr. and Mrs. Guyette, 2010

Making sourdough bread requires a starter which is also sometimes called a seed or a sponge. I don’t know the recipe that the Wawona used to make their sourdough bread, but I can provide you a sponge recipe courtesy of Irma Rombauer, Marion Becker and Ethan Becker’s Joy of Cooking cookbook.

If you don't already have a copy of Joy of Cooking, I urge you to get one. It is often the first place I look when I want to learn how to cook something. I have many cookbooks at home. Often I look at two or three different versions of a recipe taken from different books just to see which version appeals to me most.

This allows me to see what the common elements are to the dish. Once you know what the common elements are, it is easier to customize a recipe to your taste, For instance, once you know what makes a cheesecake a cheesecake (in other words how much cream cheese, flour and eggs do you need for a basic cheesecake), you can decide if you want to make a sweet cheesecake, a vanilla or chocolate cheesecake or a savory cheesecake). But enough about cheesecakes, I wanted to share with you a recipe for making sourdough bread.

Like I said earlier, sourdough all starts with the sponge. Making the sponge (or starter) is easy, though it does take a few days to complete. But it is worth it. It is the starter (or sponge) that is used to extend the fermentation time. This extended time allows for the development of the complex flavor and texture that make sourdough breads so appealing.

Once you have successfully created your sponge, it can last for years if it is periodically fed with additional flour and water. You will only use a portion of the sponge each time you bake; the balance of the sponge will remain to grow for next time.

Natural Sourdough Stater

(Courtesty of Joy of Cooking)

I find this is best started in the evening due to the time lapse between steps.

Stir together:

½ Cup of Bread Flour (do not use All Purpose or Self Rising Flour)

¼ Cup of lukewarm Water

Turn this out onto a clean (and unfloured) work surface and knead the dough using the heel of your hand until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.

Return the dough to the bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Poke 4 or 5 holes in the plastic to allow the starter to breathe. Let this stand a room temperature or 12 to 15 hours.

Mix into the starter:

½ Cup of Bread Flour (do not use All Purpose or Self Rising Flour)

¼ Cup of lukewarm Water

Re-cover the bowl with the plastic wrap. Don’t forget the holes. Allow it to stand for another 12 to 15 hours.

Transfer the starter into a larger bowl and continue feeding it by mixing in you guessed it) :

½ Cup of Bread Flour (do not use All Purpose or Self Rising Flour)

¼ Cup of lukewarm Water

Recover the bowl again with the perforated plastic wrap, but this time let it stand at room temperature for 24 hours. After 24 hours the sponge should have started to rise and bubble. You will now need to feed the starter on a regular basis. With each feeding, the starter will become looser and the bubbling activity will increase. Many people liken the consistency to pancake batter.

Mix into the starter:

½ Cup of Bread Flour (do not use All Purpose or Self Rising Flour)

¼ Cup of lukewarm Water

This time, cover with new plastic wrap, BUT do not poke holes in it. Let it stand until it rises and the surface of the sponge has bubbles all over it. This should take about 12 hours.

Feed the starter once more with:

½ Cup of Bread Flour (do not use All Purpose or Self Rising Flour)

¼ Cup of lukewarm Water

Cover again with plastic wrap and let rise until risen and bubbly. This should take about 4 to 8 hours. By now, the sponge should begin to take on a faint sour or tangy aroma. It is now ready to use in your sourdough recipe. It is best to use the starter between 4 to 8 hours after the last feeding. If you wait too long after feeding it, the yeast will not be as active. If you use it too soon after feeding, the yeast will be diluted. Always be sure to use the starter in recipes when it is at room temperature

Starters kept at room temperature need to be fed every 12 hours. Starters used less often can be kept in the refrigerator and fed just once a week.

photo courtesy of pinchmysalt.com

Sourdough Bread

(courtesy of Joy of Cooking)

Combine in a large Mixing Bowl:

2 Cups of Sourdough Starter (or sponge)

1 ½ Cups of lukewarm Water

4 Cups of Bread Flour

Mix by hand until a sticky dough forms. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 to 14 hours or until the rise id just about doubled in size. I know this seems like a long time, but the slower rise results in a better texture and wonderful flavor.

Allow the dough to come to room temperature and then add in:

½ Cup of Bread Flour

4 Teaspoons of table Salt or fine Sea Salt

Knead by hand for 7 to 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic and is no longer sticky to the touch. Cover loosely with plastic wrpa and allow to rise 10 more minutes.

Shape, let rise 2 to 4 hours and then bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.

If you think the bread in the oven smells great, just wait until you taste it. It is even better than you can imagine.

Once the bread has cooled, but still warm, cut yourself a thick slice, smear it with a pad (or two) of butter and take a bite.

Once you have tasted this bread, fresh from the oven, perhaps you will find yourself pondering whether or not you could live on bread alone.

2 comments:

  1. Having tried sourdough bread in San Francisco, I know there is a major difference between it and what other parts of the country call sourdough. You're right that it is a wonderful bread to eat, with a flavor like nothing else. How can anyone not want to eat bread fresh out of the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri, I think that water boarding torture could be replaced by another technique. Perhaps if we really want prisoners to talk, we should try making them smell bread while it is cooking and then forcing them to watch someone else butter and then eat it and without be able to have any. But I guess that would just be too cruel.Thank you for taking time to visit and comment. It is gratifying to know what people think after reading the posts.

    ReplyDelete