Monday, July 11, 2011

Peanut Pals

Peanut Pals

Okay, so we all have heard that blood is thicker than water, but what does that have to do with anything? If you want to get technical, a brick is thicker than paper, but so what?

Blood is thicker than water is a German proverb (originally: Blut ist dicker als Wasser). It generally means that the bonds of family and common ancestry are stronger than those bonds between unrelated people (such as friends). It reminds us that family members need to stick together. So why don’t we just say “Glue” and be done with it?

In regard to my family, our unity can perhaps best be summed up in two words: Peanut Butter. You see it is peanut butter that seems to run in our veins and stick to the roof of our mouths.

Four Generations of Mr. Peanut

For generations Fechinos, including me, my brothers, my Dad, even my son have made peanut butter a major staple of our diets.

Elvis liked his with a Banana

You might say that I have always been kind of a renegade when is comes to certain foods. Some I like a lot, others I just can’t stand. I remember it took a great deal of courage for me as a young boy to proclaim that I did not like Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches. When I made this proclamation I was sure I was the only person in the world who didn’t like a PBJ. To this day I still don’t like them.

My sandwich of choice: Peanut Butter, straight up served with a cold milk chaser.

A plain peanut butter sandwich is heaven to me. A jelly and cream cheese sandwich is also divine. But mix peanut butter and jelly together on a sandwich and you can count me out. I cannot tell you how many horrified mothers innocently asked if I wanted a PBJ for lunch only to learn that PBJs grossed me out.

I really love peanut butter.

On a recent trip to visit my brother Brian, my sister-in-law Kristen demonstrated how using her little spatula, she was able to get the last bit of mayonnaise out what I thought was an empty jar. I was impressed. But, when she also indicated that she could do that same with a jar of peanut butter, I was in awe. I now have a little spatula just like theirs that I keep in my kitchen drawer for when my jar of peanut butter is nearing its final portion.

That Reese guy was a genius.

My Dad has been feeling poorly for a long time. Often he has little or no appetite. But no matter how bad Dad feels, it seems he always can manage to eat a piece of two of his favorite candy: Reese’s Peanut Butter cups.

Dad's favorite

And who can blame him? Peanut butter and chocolate is an irresistible combination.

I have always cooked for my family as an expression of my love for them.

I am not one of those people who is good about telling others how I feel about them. Like most people, talking about feelings makes me uncomfortable. Hopefully my friends and family know how much I care about them through my actions. It is a one-sided bargain I know, but it has been my MO for a long time.

When my Dad was getting Chemo treatments a few years ago in an effort to raise his platelet count, he really had a rough time. He couldn’t eat much and he was understandably depressed. I had an idea for something I thought might cheer him up. And of course my solution involved food. Hey, it’s what I do.

Taking a cue from Mr. Reese’s famous creation, each week I made Dad my take on a brownie version of a Reese’s cup. I made him brownies in a mini muffin size, filled them with peanut butter inside and then topped them with a layer of melted dark chocolate. They came out great and Dad really loved them. I like to think those little confectionary treats made a bad time a little more tolerable for him.

Let’s face it, while sending a card is very nice, giving someone a gift that includes peanut butter really shows how much you care.

From the time my son Jack was a small boy, his favorite cookies have always been peanut butter cookies. Since that time, I have baked countless batches of them for him. To this day if I know that Jack will be visiting, I'll make a fresh batch of cookies for him. Sometimes I’ll even throw some semi sweet chocolate chips into the peanut butter cookie dough just to kick it up a notch. The combination of the peanut and the chocolate is great. What can I say that I haven’t said before? That Reese guy was onto something.

Want to try something tasty? Come on. I know you do. Why don’t you make a batch of my Peanut Butter cookies so you can see what all the fuss is about?

What are you waiting for? Give them a try and get in on the fun. If you do, I’ll be your best friend... We can even be Peanut Pals!

Jack's Peanut Butter Cookies

1 ¼ Cups of All Purpose Flour

¾ Teaspoon Baking Soda

¼ Teaspoon Salt

½ Cup of Butter

¾ Cup of Chunky Peanut Butter

½ Cup of Sugar

½ Cup of Light Brown Sugar

1 Egg

½ Teaspoon Vanilla

(optional: 1 Cup of Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips)

Heat oven to 375 degrees

Add the Flour, Soda and Salt into a bowl and, using a whisk, stir them together.

In a mixing bowl, beat the Butter for about 30 seconds. Next add in the Peanut Butter and Sugars to the butter and beat until fluffy. Add in the Egg and Vanilla and then beat until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.

At this point, if you want to make Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, add in the Semi-sweet Chocolate chips. Using a small cookie scoop, form the dough into small balls and bake them on an ungreased cookie sheet in a 375 degree oven until just slightly browned (about 10 minutes or so). Cool before removing from the cookie sheet.

If you want to make traditional Peanut Butter Cookies, omit adding the Chocolate chips. Instead, shape the dough into 1-inch balls and then roll the balls in white granulated Sugar.

Place the sugar coated dough balls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using the tines of a fork, make a crisscross pattern on each cookie. Bake the cookies in a 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until they are just slightly browned. Cool before removing from the cookie sheet.

I suggest you follow what Mr. Peanut says. Relax and go nuts.

I hope you will give this easy recipe a try. Until next time, remember that blood is thicker than water and, truth be told, my waist is now thicker than it used to be.

1 comment: