Thursday, August 11, 2011

Trash or Treasure?

Like most boys growing up in the 1960’s, I dreamed of one day becoming a cowboy.

What I knew of the “Wild, Wild West” came as a result of watching countless television shows like Gunsmoke, Big Valley, Bonanza, and High Chaparral.

The Cast of Bonanza (minus one member)

Even as a small boy I knew that if I played my cards just right, one day I would be asked to work on the Ponderosa Ranch. Move over Little Joe; make room for John John (as I was called at the time). The moment there was a need to add another member to the cast of Bonanza, I was ready.

John John Fechino ready to ride the trails?

To prepare for the part, I even managed to convince my parents to let me try riding a horse, but that was just a one-time thing. Okay, so maybe it was just a pony. Anyway, as you can tell from the look on my face, the idea of riding a horse was a whole lot less scary than the real thing.

The good news is, when I was finally old enough to get a job, I did actually get hired at Bonanza!

But, unfortunately for me, it was just the Bonanza Steak house. And let me tell you, it was nothing like the TV show.

Reality is often less exciting than fiction

After a lifetime’s worth of busing tables, filling the salad bar, frying chicken fried steaks in the deep fryer and grilling countless steaks, I left Bonanza to take a job just across the street at one of the south’s leading department stores: Miller & Rhoads.

The work ID for Miller & Rhoads' jolliest trash man.

I started off at Miller & Rhoads working in the shipping/receiving/gift-wrap area. I did anything from unloading trucks to taking out the trash to wrapping gifts for customers.

While taking out the trash was not my favorite job, it did have its funny moments.

One evening, while emptying the trash behind the sales counter in the Ladies Lingerie Department, I noticed a young girl walk into the department with her mother. As her mother browsed through the nightgowns, the young girl, who must have been about 10 or 12 at the time, walked over to the bra display. Her mother, taking notice, asked her daughter, “Janey, do you think you might be ready for a bra now?”

At first there was total silence, then Janey let out a shriek of horror and humiliation that I will never forget. “MOTHER!!! PLEEEEEASE!!! THERE’S ….A… MAAAAAAAAAN IN HERE!!!”

At that point, there was nothing I could do but sink out of sight behind the sales counter and begin a round of the “I’m in church and not supposed to laugh” giggles that lasted until I had tears rolling down my face.

The Downtown Richmond Headquarters of Miller & Rhoads

Miller & Rhoads stores were beloved for many things. Many people fondly remember the lunches served in their famous Tea Room.

The famous Tea Room at Miller & Rhoads

Others will tell you about meeting the Snow Queen and the REAL Santa Claus at Miller & Rhoads.

Meeting the REAL Santa Claus

As for me, I will always have a place in my heart for their Chocolate Silk pie. Sure, it was expensive and fattening, but to me, it was totally worth it. It was total perfection. Every bite was incredibly rich, creamy and best of all, chocolatey.

Heaven on a plate

One of the hardest things about taking the trash out each night was emptying the trash in the Bakery Department. But it was tough for a reason you might not expect.

The women working in the Bakery Department were instructed to throw out everything in the bakery case each night. All the cookies, all the doughnuts, all the brownies, all the cakes and all the pies had to go. The women in the Bakery were strictly instructed not to eat or give any items away. Watching all the baked goods go in the trash each night was tragic. To quote a famous on the spot reporter, "Oh the Humanity!!!"

You can imagine my horror

I could deal with most of the things being thrown away, but whenever they threw away a one of those perfectly good Chocolate Silk Pies, I swear a little tear would well up in my eye. Each time I saw a Chocolate Silk Pie being tossed away, I consoled myself by saying, "Oh well, if I can't have it, I guess no one will".

When I got my first paycheck from Miller & Rhoads, I bought a Chocolate Silk Pie to celebrate.

Many years have passed since I last worked at Miller & Rhoads. In fact, Miller & Rhoads department stores no longer exist. But my love of their Chocolate Silk Pie is still strong.

Alison and Kip

Recently my daughter Alison and her college friend Kip came over for dinner. I asked Alison what she wanted me to make for dessert and she said, “Chocolate Silk pie”. It had been years since I thought of Miller & Rhoads' Chocolate Silk pie, but I was more than happy to recreate it if I could.

As luck would have it, I found the recipe on the internet and it was not only easy to make, it was every bit as wonderful as I remembered.

Today I am happy to present the recipe for Miller & Rhoads' Chocolate Silk Pie. No need to wait for a special occasion to give it a try. Just being able to eat it is reason enough to celebrate.

Miller & Rhoads' Chocolate Silk Pie

Crust:

½ Cup Unsalted Butter

½ Cup Granulated Sugar

2 Cups of Graham Cracker Crumbs

Filling:

½ Cup of Unsalted Butter

¾ Cup of Confectioner’s Sugar

1 Ounce Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, melted and cooled

1 Pinch of Salt

1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract

3 Eggs

Topping:

2 Cups of Whipped Cream

Chocolate Shavings

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

* Please note that uncooked eggs can contain salmonella, which can cause severe illness particularly in infants, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems. If you are concerned with the quality of your eggs, please substitute pasteurized liquid eggs.

Crust:

Beat the unsalted butter and granulated sugar together with an electric mixer until it becomes light and fluffy.

Gradually mix in just enough graham cracker crumbs to make a crumbly paste.

Press the paste into a chilled 9-inch pie plate.

Bake for 5 minutes at 350 degrees.

Cool the crust to room temperature.

Filling:

Using an electric mixer beat the unsalted butter and the confectioners sugar together until it becomes light and fluffy.

Add in the melted (and cooled) chocolate along with the salt and vanilla.

Add in one egg and then beat the mixture no more than 5 minutes.

Add in the second egg and beat the mixture again no more than 5 minutes longer.

Spoon the filling into the cooled piecrust shell and then allow it to set in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Just before serving, top the pie with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

You can use pre-made whip topping, but I prefer to whip my own whipping cream. It is very easy to do. You should give it a try if you have never done it before.

Pour in one cup or more of cold heavy whipping cream in your mixing bowl. Add in one to two tablespoons of confectioner’s sugar, depending on how sweet you want it. I use confectioner’s sugar rather than granulated sugar because confectioner’s sugar contains cornstarch, which helps the whipped cream keep it’s shape. Add in a few drops of vanilla. Regular vanilla is brown and will tint your whipped cream, but clear vanilla is available on most baking aisles. If you want whiter whipped cream, try the clear vanilla. Whip the cream on high speed until firm. Just be sure not to over whip the cream or you will end up with really sweet butter.

As for chocolate shavings, use your vegetable peeler to shave a dark chocolate candy bar. This added step really puts the finishing touch on the pie.

This pie is very rich, so when it comes time to serve, start off with a small piece. If you can’t stop yourself from taking another piece, I won’t tell. But that just might be me with the church giggles that you hear coming from behind the door!

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment