Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The VanStory Back Story

It seems the very best cooks I know enjoy the thrill of trying new foods while dining out as much as they enjoy creating new dishes in their own kitchen. I am that way and so is my friend Beth VanStory. Today's recipe is one that Beth had enjoyed and then later duplicated at home.

But first the back story. There are those who are not fans of facebook. And there are those who are fans of facebook. As for me, I am one of the facebook fans.

Thanks to facebook, I have been lucky enough to reconnect with many of my favorite schoolmates. I still remember how thrilled I was the day the day my high school friend Beth VanStory, who for years had been living in San Francisco, reconnected with me on facebook after moving back to Richmond. We met for lunch that same day.

Midlothian High School, Home of the Trojans!!

(and yes, we have heard all the condom jokes already)

The things I liked about Beth back when we were in high school are the things I still like about her today. She is intelligent, fun-loving and caring. And for the record, she is just as attractive now as she was 30 years ago.

Beth VanStory 2011

Not long after Beth and I reconnected, we got together at my house to make Christmas Cookies with her adorable daughter Ella. I don't normally enjoy sharing my kitchen when I bake but, with an experienced cook like Beth, it was effortless. We really clicked in the kitchen.

A few months later, Beth and I attended our 30th high school reunion. The night before the event, a mutual friend of ours invited us along with some other classmates and their spouses to her home for a cook out. It was at this Barbecue that I first tasted this dish. Let me tell you, it is so good, that I knew I had to share it with you .

I asked Beth if I could share her recipe and the back story. Here what she had to say:

I lived in San Francisco for 12 years and one of my favorite things to do was go sailing in the Bay with my friends.

Sailing the San Francisco Bay

We'd often stop at Andronico's, an upscale food market, and pick up deli sandwiches and some side salads. I love the orzo feta salad they make. So one day I decided that it was high time I learned to make it myself (not to mention it was VERY expensive at Andronico's).

So I did what every curious chef would do: I googled "orzo feta salad." I came up with a great number of search results but quickly clicked on one from epicurious.com, a site that has never failed me.

I read through their recipe and thought of some changes (like using way less oil). Then it was off to the store to find the ingredients. The first time I made it my au pair and I ate if for five days and never got sick of it. It's great fresh and just as good left over. And it's always a hit when I take it over a friend's house or to a barbeque.

Orzo with Tomatoes, Feta, and Green Onions

From Epicurious (with Beth’s edits)

¼ Cup of Red Wine Vinegar

2 Teaspoons of fresh Lemon juice

1Teaspoon of Honey

¼ Cup of Olive Oil

4 Cups Chicken Broth

1 1/3 Pound of Orzo

1 Cup (I use less) Sun Dried Tomatoes packed in oil (or use dried and allow them to soak in 1Cup of Boiling Water to soften)

1 7-Ounce Package Feta Cheese crumbled

1 Cup chopped Green Onions

½ Cup of Fresh Basil

½ Cup Pine Nuts, toasted

Make the Dressing

You can make the dressing ahead of time and then store it at room temperature.

Whisk together the Red Wine Vinegar, Lemon Juice, and Honey in small bowl. Gradually whisk in the Oil. Season with Salt and Pepper.

Prepare the Salad

Bring Chicken Broth to a boil in large heavy saucepan. Stir in Orzo, reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and allow it to boil until the Orzo is tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer the Orzo to large wide bowl, tossing it frequently until it cools.

Chop the Sun dried Tomotes and the Basil. Mix in the Sun Dried Tomatoes, Fresh Basil, the Feta and the Green Onions into Orzo and toss Add vinaigrette over the salad and then toss again to be sure everything has been coated.

Season with Salt and Pepper. It is best to make this dish in advance to allow the dressing to marry with the salad. Before serving add Pine Nuts; toss once more. Serve at room temperature.

And now, as radio personality Paul Harvey used to say, you know the rest of the story.


1 comment:

  1. I wonder how this will taste using a vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Other that that, it sounds like something I'd love to try out on Michael. Maybe the next time I head to Fort Lauderdale, I'll give it a try.

    Great job once again John.

    ReplyDelete